Learn the art of photopolymer gravure printing in this one-day workshop! Using light-sensitive steel-backed Solarplates, participants will create 4 x 5 gravure etching prints from their photograph. This environmentally friendly process translates photographic detail into ink on paper with unparalleled beauty.
No prior experience with printmaking is required. All necessary aspects of printmaking will be discussed including choosing inks, papers, and wiping material. Wiping and inking techniques will be covered. Be prepared to marvel at the way your photograph is transformed through ink on paper!
The making of digital positives will be discussed, but for the workshop itself, please send one color or black and white image file (300 dpi at 10” on the long side) to be made into a digital positive prior to the workshop. An email with details will be provided once you are registered.
All materials for this workshop are included in the registration fee.
Here is a brief outline of the process that will be presented in this workshop:
- Starting with your digital photograph, a 4 x 5 transparency positive will be made
- The positive is then laid on top of the light sensitive polymer plate and exposed to UV light
- Washing the plate in water etches the image onto the plate
- Once hardened, the plate is hand inked using water-soluble intaglio inks
- The inked plate is then run through an etching press onto dampened paper
- You take home 3 -4 photogravure prints of your image
Date: Saturday July 27th, 2019
Time: 9 – 5
No host lunch
Cost: $175, supplies included
Instructor: Karen Hymer
Location: Light Art Space
Address: 209 West Broadway, Silver City, NM 88061